ok, I looked at it a bit more carefully and indeed it only happens for the case where I am pushing data to a queue (case 2 below) the other cases stack trace clearly
local thr= require'thread'
local b,v,l= q:shift()
--print(a) -- index a nil value, case 0
--print(a) -- index a nil value, case 1
local q= thr.queue()
local t=thr.new(ab, q)
q:push(a) -- index a nil value, case 2
local r= t:join()
--print(a) -- index a nil value, case 3
This just happened to me on Windows 10 and now I've found this post... The problem is that comctl 6 (aka Windows Visual Styles) fails to enable. I renamed the luapower directory and the problem went away (rename it back and the problem comes back). I suspect a build bug somewhere (the only way the directory name might get hardcoded) but I don't know yet. Strange...
Well. Seems like I did it.
Thanks you for agreeing to help me from the beginning. Also thanks for this project and its heading.
I will leave instruction on how I did it:
Required knowledge: windows command line commands (simple) and PATH variable editing
Install GitHub Desktop
Add C:\Users\*Your UserName*\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-1.5.1\resources\app\git\cmd to PATH
Copy files from msys/bin (bash.exe is in it) and move them to C:\Users\Spar\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\app-1.5.1\resources\app\git\usr\bin
Install MINGW 32-bit or MINGW 64-bit respectively.
Add *path to mingw*/bin to PATH
Win + R. Type cmd to open console
Type cd /
Type git clone https://github.com/capr/multigit luapower
Type cd luapower and mgit clone https://github.com/luapower/luapower-repos
Type mgit clone-all and wait
See bundle commands list. Test that everything is working: mgit bundle -o fat.exe